Sunday 3 November 2013

Cross Stitcher at work, do not disturb!

Do Not Disturb!

Well, I pulled a load of threads and got hubby and Rachael to decide what colour to put with the purply thread.  They came up with GAST's Red Grape.  I think it looks ok.

So there you are, 6 hours and...finished!


What a quick design this was to do!

Now I had this idea whilst I was stitching it.  Tell me what you think.

  1. It is a design about cross stitching and leaving us to get on with it.
  2. It would look great on loads of different fabrics.
  3. It would look great in lots of different colours.
  4. It would probably look great with some form of personalising - beads, buttons, sparkles or whatever.
So I thought it might make a travelling pattern.  Then my brain continued working and thought...what about a little competition?  People could work on it with a time limit of 2 weeks, send the chart to the next person and a photo to me.  This time next year, I will put up a gallery of all the photos received a winner/favourite can be voted for by...well whoever wants to vote.  What do you think?  If enough people are interested and feel a 2 week turnaround would be ok, there could be around 15 to 20 designs to vote for allowing for the various postal services taking their time to deliver!

I was thinking maybe a £10 or $15 voucher/gift certificate to a favourite store could be the prize unless anyone has any other ideas?  So if you are interested in a fun competition and a travelling pattern, leave a comment on here.  

10 comments:

Linda said...

Oh what a great idea Sharon. Please count me in. I would love to stitch this piece. Yours turned out great and I love the colors you used.

Linda

stitchersanon said...

A lovely finish: I think you were brave to change the colours like that but this is def. better. Well done xx

CalamityJr said...

Sounds great! What if everyone who stitched it donated a skein of floss or another inexpensive stitchy gift for the winner? They could send it to you or put it with the pattern if they didn't want to send overseas - eventually it would re-cross the pond and that stitcher could send the goodies to you.

Jules said...

I love the colors you chose for this piece! The "Do Not Disturb" stands out nicely, so a job well done in choosing that color!

I think your idea is great as well! Would love to participate.

Robin said...

Neat idea Sharon! Can us Yanks in the USA participate too? If so, please count me in. Maybe a commitment from everyone who participates to donate specialty floss or embellishments and forward to you for the grand prize. Use your L10 or $15 for posting the goodies.

Robin Thompson
Crafting with the Stitch Witch

Christine said...

Lovely finish! The travelling pattern idea sounds good to me

SoCal Debbie said...

I love this idea, too! It would be so much fun to see everyone's versions all together at the end of the year. Count me in!

Unknown said...

What a great idea to make a travelling pattern of it! Count me in :)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Count me in for the New Year. I love Calamity's idea of each of us sending a little something to the winner too. I have some lovely buttons I got today and some great Hallowe'en charms too (from when I ordered 1 PACKET of each instead of 1 of each!)

Sara said...

I hope I'm not too late in replying to this post but I'm playing catch up to all the amazing blogs and only now got to this post :) That is definitely a great idea and you can count me in... and I think the suggestion of each of us sending a speciallity thread or goodie is great :)