Wednesday 16 July 2014

Cross stitch tag

Rachel from What looks like Crazy on an ordinary day posted about the cross stitch tag which she had stolen from YouTube.  She posted a set of questions for people to answer.  I thought this might be fun as my more recent followers may not know some of these, indeed some long time followers probably won't know some of them!  Here you go...

Q1 - How did you start?  Who introduced you to cross stitching?
EVERYONE must already know the answer to this!  I started back in 1995 with a little card kit picked up from a cake decorating shop that I walked past every day on my way to and from work.  I had been going out with Colin for nearly a year and it was our first Valentine's Day together.  I wanted to get him something different and saw the cards in the window as I passed.  I even personalised it by stitching our initials in the middle and looking at it, think I did a good job for a first timer who only read through the instructions once and had no-one to help her! Actually, looking at it close up, it even looks like all my stitches go the same way!


However, prior to this, I can vaguely remember making a needlebook at my first primary school which I left at the age of 8.  This was on dark blue binca and we did lots of different stitches, although one was cross stitch so this must count!  I bet my mum will still have it somewhere...lol.

Q2 - Favourite theme or designer
Well that is a hard one!  There are so many things that I like stitching.  I suppose Joan Elliott and Nora Corbett are obvious favourites going off how many of their designs I have.  A recent favourite has to be Gaynor of StitchersAnon.  Her charts are so clear and easy to stitch and Gaynor herself is helpful, easy to talk to and donates some part of her proceeds to cancer charities to help find a cure sooner.  I also like JBW designs for a quick stitch...oh and loads of others too.  
I don't think I have a theme I particularly like.  I do seem to have a few fantasy figures going on at the moment so maybe that is my 'thing'.  See my WIP/UFO pages to see if you can find any other themes...lol.

Q3 - What brand of floss do you use?
My regular floss is DMC over all others but I do have a fair few WDW, GAST and some silks for specific projects.  I would love to be able to afford to stitch with nothing but silk after discovering how beautiful they are to stitch with recently.  I am fortunate enough to have a full set of DMC courtesy of magazine trading a few years ago and a full set of Six Stranded Sweets.

Q4 - What is your fabric of choice?
Hey, an easy one!  I love 28ct jobelan above all others but do sometimes enjoy the ease of stitching on 14ct aida so that I don't have to concentrate so hard.

Q5 - Do you use a needle threader or are you a floss licker?
Another easy one!  Floss licker all the way.

Q6 - What brand of stitching frame (or hoop or otherwise holder) do you use?
Hmm...generally I like to stitch in hand but recently I have gone back to using a Q Snap again.  I bought myself a new one and it holds the fabric so much tauter than my old one did.  I would like to get my scroll frame and stand out and use again as I can stitch so much quicker on that.

Q7 - How many projects have you finished?
D'you know, I have never added it up before! Wow...after a quick add up...172.

Q8 - How many completed works are hanging in your house?
Not many!  There is Papillon Creations 'How does your Garden Grow' and John Clayton's 'Sunday Cricket' in the lounge. On the stairs is Luke's mini design and Bothy Threads 'Garden Shed' is at the top of the stairs. There are 3 in the kitchen and that is it.  I have a big box of designs waiting for me to do something with them though.

Q9 - Do you stitch for gifts or for yourself?
Usually, the pieces I am stitching for gifts actually get finished.  That said, as already mentioned I have a box of things to finish.  So I suppose really it is a bit of both.

Q10 - Favourite finished cross stitch piece
Without a doubt that has to be either Bothy Threads Cut Thru Garden Shed or Nora Corbett's Trick or Treat Fairy.  Both pieces were so enjoyable to stitch and I love them both.



Q11 - Worst experience whilst stitching?
I was in the process of stitching the borders for a 12 person RR.  Luke decided to play with some scissors and my fabric one morning before I got up, not sure what Colin was doing at this point!  Luke cut several big slashes in the fabric.  I was not impressed but he was only 3 or 4 years old.  The RR was clearly jinxed as it was sent out once the borders were restitched and the RR fell apart after only 4 rounds.  I was one of the lucky ones who got theirs back.  It was sent out again as a 4 person RR and only 2 people stitched on it before it came back to me.  The third time it went out, it got stolen.  Clearly this was never meant to be!

Q12 - What do you love and hate about cross stitch?
I love the therapeutic feel of stitching and how it can calm me after a grotty day.  I love how many online friends I have made that I wouldn't have done without cross stitch and the sense of community there is with bloggers and other groups. 
I hate the fact that I sometimes can't count to 2 or 3 and end up frogging!  I also hate having to go and find the threads for projects or deciding whether a design will look good on a different fabric. I also hate the endless rows about copyright - it isn't that complicated but some people still don't get it!

Q13 - Have you introduced anyone else to cross stitching?
Yes!  Just my daughter though.

Q14 - The first project, did you finish it?
Yes!  See question 1 for more details.

Q15 - How do you store your floss?
My DMC is all on stitchbows in boxes.  Six Stranded Sweets are all bobbinated in a box. WDW/GAST/CC are all in one of those mini drawer tower thingies.  The silks are bobbinated (I love that word!) in a box with the projects they are for.  Everything else that I have are in plastic wallets in a ring binder.

If you decide to answer them too, let me know.  I love getting to find out more about my favourite bloggers.
Valentine's card - Feb 1995Valentine's card - Feb 1995

18 comments:

Brigitte said...

Interesting to read all these pieces of information about your stitching career. That RR you write about was definitely jinxed, lol.

Rhona said...

That was so interesting! Lovely to find out about fellow stitchers....think I might pinch this for my blog! :)

Katie said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I just might have to follow.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Fantastic post! I'll have to steal these questions for a blog entry. I've been blogging for so many years I'm sure I have many readers who don't know my beginnings!

Unknown said...

Hi,
I have answer all this questions on my blog too!!! You can ready at www.lizylovelystitches.blogspot.com wow you have a lot of finishes, and interesting answers to your questions!!!

Anne said...

Great little interview to read Sharon! Fun to know a bit more about you and your stitching projects...172!! WOW!! Amazing number of projects stitched!! The RR bit was interesting for me to read about. Never understood the process of RR's and that's terrible someone stole it. Who would do that?!

Linda said...

Loved reading your answers Sharon. I did learn some new things about you.

Linda

Bonnie Brown said...

Great Questions!

Angela said...

Loved reading your answers! I plan to answer them but it's going to take me a few days to post :)

Stitching Kath said...

Can yousend me your details and interest to my email kath.lang@yahoo.com re the draw on my blog. Thanks kath

Annie said...

You really are a long time stitcher. Who has 6 Strand Sweets anymore!

Steph said...

I have loved reading this. I will definitely do this too at some point.

KimM said...

Great stories - so sorry to hear about that RR experience…:(
xxx

Annette-California said...

LOVE your post. I too am going to borrow these questions and post on my blog my answers. Fantastic Sharon! I enjoyed every answer you gave - especially floss licker HA me too! love Annette

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great post, I have answered some of these question thingies in the past but not this particular one.

I am surprised that you don't have more projects on display at home, my house has stuff in every room except the bathroom!

I wonder how many people of a certain age have binca mats stitched when they were in Primary School? My Mum should still have mine. She's got the owl made from a breeze block and the cardboard chicken so she should have the mat too!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Apparently I have done one post on "10 Things" and four on "11 Things", find the 11 things here and use the labels for the 10 things!

http://serendipitousstitching.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/11%20things

And I did 7 photos too:
http://serendipitousstitching.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/stylish-blogger-award.html

Miss Lilly said...

Great post! I love reading these stitchers questions :D

Suz said...

This was a fun post to read, so I am also using it for my newly revamped blog.

ta!