- Type 1 diabetes is NOT caused by too much sugar.
- Type 1 diabetes is NOT caused by being overweight.
- Type 1 diabetes is NOT caused by lack of exercise.
- Type 1 diabetes IS an auto immune condition. The pancreas stops working - or at least the bit that regulates insulin.
Over the years we have had some right daft comments/questions. Answers (or thoughts!) have included:
- No, she will not grow out of it.
- No, it's not the bad/serious kind - all diabetes is serious/bad.
- Yes, she will need injections every day for the rest of her life - unless we find a cure.
- Of course you could could give injections if you had to, the alternative is to let your child die.
- No there is no family history. Why? Does yours have a history of stupidity?
So I would ask in these days of recession/double dip/austerity or whatever we are in today that if you can spend £$5.00 on a sandwich and a coffee on your way to work, can you please spare £$5.00 for JDRF to find a cure. One day they will and it may be your child, grandchild or great grandchild that benefits from it.
OK rant over...normal service will be resumed tomorrow!!