Monday 6 January 2014

London, Richard II and David Tennant

We had a fab time in London.  On Thursday we did the bus tour round all the sights which helped us to get our bearings bit and had a Subway for tea before getting ready to go and see David Tennant in Richard II.  No photography was allowed, but they didn't tell me that until after I had taken this...


This is how the stage was as you came into the theatre.  The background is made of thin chain, a bit like your kitchen sink plug is attached with usually and they project the image of the scenery onto that.  It sounds a bit weird explained like that but the effect is stunning.

You need to get to the stage door a lot earlier than the end of the play if you want to see David come out. Sadly we were too far away to get him to sign anything although Rachael did get a 5 minute video of him signing things, having photos with people and generally being a pretty decent bloke at being mobbed by screaming women!

So on Friday I caved and agreed to take Rachael on the London Eye.  Oh my word...it's high!  I don't like heights, I REALLY don't like heights.  Here is the photographic evidence of how high it is



On the Friday, we went to the Science museum.  This microscope was fantastic!  It was made out of solid silver by George Adams, commissioned by William III as a gift for William IV.  Why does no-one ever get me a gift like that?


There was also the Apollo 10 capsule - the original apparently!


Rachael absolutely refuses to believe that this one is a real car.  You can see her point really and as for moving a lever to turn left or right? No thank you, I will stick with a wheel!


The weather turned cold, windy and rainy on Saturday.  We were determined to make the most of our last morning though.  We got the tube to Mansion House (what a brilliant name for a station - ideas of grandeur that it really didn't live up to!).  We saw the monument to the firefighters who protected St Paul's Cathederal during the Second World War by sleeping in it to make sure it couldn't be destroyed.


This is me playing with the panoramic setting on my phone.  The tall pointy building in the middle is The Shard which you seem to be able to see from anywhere in London!


This was taken on the Millenium Bridge looking back at St Paul's Cathedral.


Finally this is what the view was like from the hotel window.  The building opposite was Armory House.


Oh yes...I forgot to mention what we did on Friday night.  See if you can guess...








We walked down to The Barbican again, getting there for about 8.55pm...and guess what?  The show didn't finish until 10.25pm...and we weren't the first there!


Look who came out...


...getting closer...


...OMG he's touched my shoulder (said Rachael!)


...and now he leaves us.


As a non-fan of David, I have to admit that he was amazing.  He took time to speak to people, albeit briefly. He signed Rachael's programme for her and had a photo with her.  Initially, Rachael had a mousemat with a photo of David on but he is only allowed to sign show things.  David waited around for her to get her programme out though which I thought was great of him.  When he was signing her programme he said that it was great to meet her (which he probably says to half a dozen people a night) but it absolutely made her day as she didn't hear him say it to anyone else!  He has definitely gone up in my estimation!! Rachael was so thrilled she started crying as we came away - bless her.

17 comments:

Justine said...

You tease! I really thought that you hadn't seen him until that last bit! Bless him for being so kind to his fans. I bet he made Rachael's trip. Your photos are stunning.

Katie said...

Great pictures. I have no idea who David is. Guess I'm showing my American ignorance haha. Also what is the tube? I assume a bus or train in my words.

So glad Rachael had a fantastic memory made with someone she cares about. She won't forget that anytime soon.

Linda said...

Oh WOW Sharon. Looks and sounds like you had a fantastic time.

Linda

Julie said...

Oooh well done getting those fantastic photos of the gorgeous David Tennant. I am very jealous! x

Chris said...

What a fabulous weekend with so many special memories! Thanks for taking me along! Wahoo!

Christine said...

How wonderful! He always gives the impression of being a genuinely nice guy

Julie said...

Great views of London glad you both had a great time,especially with your daughter meeting David.

Can you still climb the stairs to the gallery in St Pauls do you know?.

Shirlee said...

What a wonderful trip to London ... & how fantastic it is that Rachael did get to meet David & he was so kind to her! These few days are definitely a beautiful memory for both of you to cherish always : )

Lesleyanne said...

Looks like you had a great time. Oh my I am SOOOO JEALOUS you got so close to David Tennant.

Kay said...

It sounds wonderful, and especially for your daughter!!

Catherine said...

What a fabulous time!!

Andrea said...

I bet that meeting made your daughters weekend. How wonderful. Looks like you both had a great time.

ricketyjo said...

Glad you had such a great time and got to meet David Tennant, how lovely! Looks like you got to see plenty of the sights here as well :)

ricketyjo said...

Glad you had such a great time and got to meet David Tennant, how lovely! Looks like you got to see plenty of the sights here as well :)

geeky Heather said...

Oh how fabulous that she got to get a picture with him and everything!!!! I am jealous but I don't like meeting celebrities as I'm always certain I'll make an idiot out of myself!!

Of course the rest of the trip looks wonderful too, LOL!!

Maureen said...

Jealous much!. Sounds like a fab weekend. So pleased your daughter got to meet him. And well done you on getting on the London Eye, very brave.

Denise SA said...

So glad your daughter got to meet David